Planning Permission

Installing a fuel tank is considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

  • Not more than 3,500 litres capacity.
  • Not forward of the principal elevation fronting a highway.
  • Maximum overall height of three metres.
  • Maximum height 2.5 metres within two metres of a boundary.
  • Not more than half the area of land around the “original house”* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
  • In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by buildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from house to be limited to 10 square metres.
  • Not at the side of properties on designated land*.
  • Within the curtilage of listed buildings any container will require planning permission.

The permitted development regime includes liquid petroleum gas tanks as well as oil storage tanks.

Please note: the permitted development allowances described here apply to houses not flats, maisonettes or other buildings. View guidance on flats and maisonettes here. You are viewing guidance for England.

*The term “original house” means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.

*Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites.

Permitted Development for householders – Technical Guidance

You are strongly advised to read a technical guidance document produced by the Government to help understand how permitted development rules might apply to your circumstances.

Download ‘Permitted development for householders – Technical guidance’

Building Regulations

The installation of a fuel tank should meet the necessary building regulations requirements.

If the installation is above ground the requirements will be applied to achieve adequate shielding of the tank from any surrounding fire and, in the case of an oil tank, containment of oil leakages so that ground water is not contaminated.

Where new oil connecting pipework is proposed, a fire valve will be needed at the point where the pipe enters the building.

If you are installing an oil tank and/or connecting pipework and you employ an installer registered with one of the related competent person schemes, you will not need to involve a Building Control Service

CLG: Read more about Competent Person Schemes.


This is an introductory guide and is not a definitive source of legal information. Read the full disclaimer here.

This guidance relates to the planning regime for England. Policy in Wales may differ. If in doubt contact your Local Planning Authority.